Hey, reader! When you’re right here for tips about dressing curves, take a look at our style picks impressed by the information. In any Glamour story that includes a procuring bag icon, you possibly can immediately store a number of associated merchandise, curated by us. Take a look at our picks to your left on desktop and proper on cell. Glad procuring!
Susan Moses has styled everybody from Britney Spears to Queen Latifah over her two-decade-plus profession—and she or he’s realized a couple of issues within the course of. OK, extra like a e book’s price of issues. Which occurs to be becoming (pardon the pun): In 2016, Moses launched her debut title, The Art of Dressing Curves. Glamour spoke with Moses in regards to the style advice women with curves—plus size or not—have to find out about getting dressed.
Learn on for her high eight model ideas for curvy ladies:
1. Strike the appropriate stability between fitted and too tight. “There’s a distinction between being squeezed up in a costume and a costume becoming your physique properly,” she says. “You shouldn’t see strains of any undergarments by the costume—that’s when it’s too tight!”
2. All people ought to have a shapewear arsenal. “That is common!” says Moses. “Each girl wants a little bit little bit of cinching, smoothing, and help generally. Typically, smoothing within the tummy and hips could make us look extra refined and polished in our garments. The primary piece that ladies ought to have is a body briefer.”
3. Don’t put on leggings as pants. “There’s means an excessive amount of private data on the streets of many cities due to this development. Leggings usually are not pants. They’re meant to be worn beneath clothes. That’s why they’re bought with hosiery and equipment in department shops.” (Trace: Get a pair of thin jeggings as an alternative!)
4. When doubtful, attain for a pencil skirt. “To-the-knee is essentially the most flattering hemline on everybody,” she says. “It elongates your curves and offers your physique good stability.”
5. No outfit is full without the right shoes. “Take note of the road of your footwear,” says Moses. “Keep away from straps across the ankles—they’ll make legs look shorter. A basic pump in a impartial provides you with the cleanest line and make your legs look longest.”
6. Store by any weight adjustments. “Do buy groceries and spend money on the important items, even in the event you achieve [or lose] a couple of kilos. Crucial factor is to put on garments that match and to really feel you look your best possible at each dimension.”
7. Carry the appropriate dimension of bag. “It’s best to have a bag that’s proportioned to your physique,” she says. “Too small is just not good! For day I like a medium-size structured tote. At night time, in the event you can’t see the bag behind your hand, that bag is simply too small.”
8. Tailor your clothes. “A superb tailor is each girl’s secret weapon. There is no substitute! Most shops and boutiques provide tailoring providers too. Sporting garments that match and cling correctly in your physique could make the distinction between horrible and terrific.”
Factors 3, 6, and 8 are excerpts from The Art of Dressing Curves: The Best-Kept Secrets of a Fashion Stylist by Susan Moses, printed by Harper Design, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.